The Legislative Council of the island passed Ordinance No 13 on 17th December 1846, fixing, inter alia, the rate of internal postage at 2d. per half-ounce for country letters and 1d. per ounce for local town delivery. Most of the new regulations came into force on New Year’s Day 1847. Article 9 of the Ordinance is particularly intereting because it foreshadowed the use of postage stamps.
Every letter, newspaper or packet of any kind liable to postage under this Ordinance, if posted within the colony and its dependencies, and having a stamp or stamps affixed thereto and appearing on the outside – such stamps being provided by the Government – and being of the value or amount required in each case according to the preceding tariff, and not having been used before, shall pass by the post free of postage.